4.27.2015

God drew me with a crayon.








God drew me with a crayon.

He started with the eyes. He taped together a sky-something-ocean-blue crayon and a pine-scented-asparagus-green crayon and went to work. And God, He colored outside the lines a little bit because something about a metaphor about looking beyond yourself. 
“Look closer,” He said. 
“Look harder,” He said.

Next, He chose my mouth. He splashed my lips with hints of indigo and canary and filled my tongue with colors like watermelon slices and rose petals. My teeth were like the ivories on a piano and my smile was made with colors like jumper cables and car batteries. 
God said, “Speak kindly.” 
God said, “Taste sweetly.”

Next, the nose and cheeks. He drew the outline of them with a little too much blush and a little too much sun. I get embarrassed and sunburned way too easily. He sprinkled tiny dots colored like chestnuts on my nose and called them freckles but deep down I know they’re really angel kisses… and lately I've had to look harder in the mirror to find them.

He rounded off my joints with colors like mud and bruises because God wanted me to keep standing back up even after the third prayer in a row because He knew that the bruises on my heart would heal just like the bruises on my knees.

He combined colors of the sun and a strawberry field and added them to my hair so that I would know what love felt like.

God filled in the empty spaces with colors like the starry-sky and the rolling mountains. He said, “Remember.  Remember how it only took me one week to make all this and it’s all yours.”
Finally, God completed me with a heart full of the best books and the best music. Colors like floral prints and log cabins surrounded my lungs. God soaked my blood in waxy, bittersweet lavender. It pumps to my arms and legs and I cry purples and midnight blues, always with Him on my mind.

Then I would be His and He would send me on my way.

Barefoot, braided, and sun kissed she entered the world.



And God smiled.


-Nattty Taylor.
I basically wanted to highlight the entire thing.
So beautiful.
I needed this tonight. 

1 comment:

  1. "God filled in the empty spaces with colors like the starry-sky and the rolling mountains. He said, “Remember. Remember how it only took me one week to make all this and it’s all yours." You're my hero.

    ReplyDelete